This tutorial will walk you thru the creation of the XSI Mod Tool animated 3D logo.
- Papervision3D installation and Flash CS3 project setup.
- Basic modeling technique.
- Basic texturing technique.
- Exporting Papervision3D compatible COLLADA files.
- The self documented corresponding Flash Action Script 3.0 is provided.
What you need:
- Softimage|XSI Mod Tool
- Softimage|Crosswalk 2.5 (Papervision3D compatible COLLADA exporter)
- Adobe Flash CS3
- XSIModTool_PV3D_Tutorial.zip (The tutorial content including the Flash CS3 project, the Action Script 3.0 self documented XSIModTool.as file, the required images, the XSI Mod Tool scene, etc.)
About the Softimage|XSI Mod Tool
The Softimage|XSI Mod Tool is a FREE 3D modeling and animation package, for non-commercial use, that plugs right into Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express and Valve Half- Life 2. The Mod Tool is packed with the same 3D modeling and animation tools that the pros use to create triple-A titles. One thing that’s really nice about the Mod Tool is that its Crosswalk enabled. This mean you can import and export content to and from other applications using the COLLADA, dotXSI and FBX file formats. In other words, your data is not locked inside the Mod Tool and yes, it can be used to create content for Flash with the cool Papervision3D technology.
This article was originally posted by Bolducati, where you can also find a very nice tutorial on how to install PV3D.